For HVAC and Air Quality Applications
Sensirion expands its range of environmental sensing solutions with this new particulate matter sensor, and opens up a new dimension in outdoor and indoor air quality applications.
The SPS30 particulate matter (PM) sensor signifies a new technological breakthrough in optical PM sensors. Its measurement principle is based on laser scattering and utilizes Sensirion’s innovative contamination-resistance technology. This technology, along with superior-quality and long-lasting components, enables correct measurements from the device’s first operation and during the course of its lifetime of over eight years.
PM2.5 and PM10 denote particulate matter with particle diameter up to 2.5 µm and 10 µm, respectively, and are among the most hazardous air pollutants. Owing to their small size, PM2.5 particles can enter deep into the human lung and cause several health issues; for example, by causing asthma attacks or contributing to cardiovascular disease. The SPS30 will enable the implementation of groundbreaking air quality monitoring devices that stop air pollution damage.
|Particulate Matter Sensor Specifications
|Mass concentration accuracy1
||±10 μg/m3 @ 0 to 100 μg/m3
±10 % @ 100 to 1000 μg/m3
|Mass concentration range
||1 to 1000 μg/m3
|Mass concentration resolution
|Particle detection size range2
||Mass concentration: PM1.0, PM2.5, PM4 and PM10
Number concentration: PM0.5, PM1.0, PM2.5, PM4 and PM10
|Lower limit of detection
|Minimum sampling interval
||1 sec (continuous mode)
||> 8 years operating continuously 24 h/day
||40.6 x 40.6 x 12.2 mm3
|Operating temperature range
||-10 to +60 °C
|Storage temperature range
||-40 to +70 °C
||4.5 – 5.5 V
|Average supply current
@ 1 Hz measurement rate
|< 60 mA
1 Specified for PM2.5 at 25 °C using potassium chloride salt particles and the TSI DustTrakTM DRX Aerosol Monitor 8533 as a reference.
2 PMx defines particles with a size smaller than "x" micrometers (e.g., PM2.5 = particles smaller than 2.5 μm).
How Users Can Benefit from Sensirion’s Technology
- Small, ultra-slim package
- Proprietary contamination-resistance technology and long-lasting components
- Accurate high-resolution particle size binning
- Laser-based scattering principle and advanced algorithms
- Fully calibrated digital output. UART and I2C interfaces.
- Simple, clear interface with read-out feature
- Lifetime of over eight years while functioning continuously for 24 hours/day
- Easy to incorporate into devices where space and size are limited
- Accurate measurements for various types of dust and other particles
- Allows new types of use cases and device-specific actions based on detected particle composition
- No need for cleaning and/or maintenance, thus avoiding issues related to sensor drift or malfunction
Environmental conditions have a big impact on people’s comfort, well-being, and productivity. Sensirion’s sensor solutions offer comprehensive and reliable data on crucial environmental parameters such as temperature, humidity, particulate matter (PM2.5), volatile organic compounds (VOCs), and CO2. Environmental Sensing paves the way to new possibilities to create smarter devices that enhance people’s comfort and well-being as well as increase energy efficiency in a wide range of applications.
Sensirion accompanies users through the whole product development process, from the preliminary idea to product launch and beyond. Sensirion’s expertise ranges from prototype construction, use-case development, and design-in support to inline testing at the mass production stage.