The 3D-Contour scan head from FARO® is a scanning solution that provides 3-axis capabilities in a compact system, suitable for small-to-medium field sizes.
The integrated design includes FARO®’s innovative galvanometer technology that delivers superior flexibility, bandwidth, and accuracy. Furthermore, the design comprises a high-bandwidth Z-axis mechanism for marking on highly contoured surfaces.
FARO®’s 3-Axis scan heads are designed to work smoothly with its WinLase® Laser Scan Control Software and process controllers, allowing easy integration into workstations and assembly lines.
The natural focal surface of an XY galvo pair is a shallow sphere. One approach to working on planar samples is by using an f-theta lens. However, this leads to swelling of laser spots, limits field size, and is expensive. On the other hand, FARO®’s BLINK High-Speed Focuser is an improved solution.
Upon being used as the focusing element of a post-objective scanning system, BLINK dynamically maps a focal correction onto the laser beam as a function of its XY position. This allows processing of large planar samples at high speed with very minute spot sizes, and supports the processing of 3D samples.
BLINK is designed with a precision ground guideway and direct voice-coil drive, resulting in an extremely compact, high-performance focuser that can perform continuous operation with a 50-G peak sine wave. Its ultra-low moving mass decreases reaction forces.
BLINK includes just one moving part, hence it is highly dependable, and delivers extended service life than traditional taut band actuators. When BLINK is used in combination with the 3D-Contour, it provides an outstanding 170 mm focus depth at a spot size of 64 µm over a 450 mm field (Nd-YAG).
Features of the FARO® 3D-Contour Scan Head
- Wavelength: 1064 nm
- 13 mm input, 20 mm mirror aperture
- Ideal for high-volume factory laser processing
- Multifaceted for job shop settings and process development
- Custom correction files can be produced effortlessly
- Large field/small spot: The 3D-Contour is capable of scanning fields as large as 1 m x 1 m, and creating a laser spot size as small as 30 µm for marking any area in the field. The ability to change the field and spot size ensures application flexibility.
- Processes 3D work surface: The 3D-Contour comprises an XY scan head and a linear lens translator (the Z-axis) that can form a contoured or flat field, by dynamically pointing at the workpiece surface.