Greenhouses and indoor agricultural facilities must maintain proper environmental conditions to ensure optimal plant health and growth.
In order to ensure quality, productivity, and energy conservation, carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration must be monitored and controlled, alongside humidity, temperature, and ambient light – including photosynthetically active radiation (PAR).
CO2 is one of a number of elements required for photosynthesis, meaning it is an essential factor in plant growth.
Plants will generally grow well at ambient levels of CO2 - ~400 parts per million (ppm). As CO2 concentrations rise to ~1000 ppm and above, however, photosynthesis is boosted proportionately. This results in an increase in the carbohydrates and sugars available for plant growth.
Equally, sub-ambient CO2 atmospheres are often caused by tightly sealed structures and poor ventilation, and these atmospheres may adversely affect plant development and vitality.
In the majority of cases, CO2 enrichment systems are deployed to supplement sub-optimal CO2 concentrations. These systems utilize liquified/compressed CO2 tanks or the by-products of hydrocarbon fuel combustion. As such, precise reliable CO2 measurement is critical in ensuring efficient, cost-effective operation of supplemental CO2 systems.
The correct placement and number of CO2 sensors allow complex wireless or wired indoor agriculture climate control system to effectively monitor and maintain ideal CO2 setpoints that relate to other environmental parameters like humidity, temperature, and PAR.
The Telaire T3000 Series - CO2 Sensors for Harsh Environments
The Telaire T3000 Series CO2 sensors have been designed and developed to monitor CO2 in harsh, challenging environments. Using Telaire’s non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) sensor technology and electronic signal conditioning, the T3000 Series is able to provide robust packaging in a diverse array of configurations in terms of measurement range, output signals, and supply voltage.
The Telaire T3000 Series boasts the following features:
- Accurate carbon dioxide (CO2) transmitters, ideal for measurement and control applications in demanding environments
- Expanded temperature operating range
- Non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) sensing technology
- Dual-wavelength sensor design, facilitating dependable operation in environments which display extended periods of heightened CO2 concentrations
- Factory calibrations are available up to 20 % CO2 concentration
- Digital or analog output options
- IP67 ingress protection option
- Integrated diffusion filter with straightforward mounting via external tabs
- Customized designs are available
The Telaire T9602 Series - Temperature and Humidity Sensors
The Telaire T9602 Series Temperature and Humidity sensors deliver reliable, accurate operation within a fully-integrated, ready-to-use, and compact package.
Designed with demanding, harsh environments in mind, the T9602 Series employs Telaire’s sophisticated ChipCap2 sensing technology. It is available in a range of configurations suitable for industrial, HVAC, and healthcare applications and markets.
The Telaire T9602 Series offers the following features:
- Temperature-compensated and fully calibrated
- Waterproof and IP67 certified
- Able to accommodate I2C Digital Output or Pulse Density Modulated (PDM) Output (convertible to analog)
- Accurate and precise (±2 % RH, ±0.5 °C, 14-bit resolution)
- Minimal current consumption - 3.3 or 5 VDC operation
- Robust over-molded package
- Integrated filter guarantees dependable operation in severe environments
- Multiple cable lengths are available
- Variable mounting options
Thermometrics JI/JIC Temperature Sensor Assemblies
The Thermometrics JI/JIC Temperature Sensor Assemblies include NTC thermistors that are molded onto a highly flexible cable. The Type JIC model provides IP68 rated waterproof protection along with the option of the stainless-steel sensor housing.
The Thermometrics JI/JIC includes the following features:
- Waterproof, with IP68 certification
- Able to withstand freeze/thaw cycling
- A range of wire lengths from 300-5000 mm (11.8 in-16.4 ft) is available
- An extension cable and sensor tip is integrated over-molded construction
- RoHS compliance
The AAS Advantage
Telaire has been at the cutting edge of carbon dioxide sensing technology for almost 30 years, with the company being the originator of maintenance-free CO2 infrared sensors. It also owns more than 35 technology patents such as ABC Logic™, while guaranteeing single-wavelength sensor calibration for the sensor’s lifetime.
Amphenol Advanced Sensors is also a trusted OEM partner, able to provide humidity, pressure, temperature, CO2, and dust sensors to solution providers in the automotive, HVAC, industrial, healthcare, and industrial markets.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Amphenol Advanced Sensors.
For more information on this source, please visit Amphenol Advanced Sensors.