Vishay Intertechnology has launched the VCNL4020 sensor which is a completely integrated proximity and ambient light optical sensor with height of 0.8 mm. The VCNL4020 comprises a photo-pin-diode for proximity, a signal processing IC, an IR emitter and an ambient light detector.
The VCNL4020 is also provided with a 16-bit ADC in a small rectangular leadless (LLP) package. The VCNL4020 comprises the following features:
- The VCNL4020 simplifies the sensor and window placement in a range of industrial and consumer applications.
- The I2C bus communication interface is supported by the VCNL4020.
- The VCNL4020 has an interrupt function that allows independent working of the sensor and it also enables customers to reduce their power consumption and software effort by eradicating polling communication traffic between the microcontroller and the sensor.
- The VCNL4020 controls the brightness of the display and keypad with its integrated ambient light function and saves power by switching off the display backlight.
- Requirement for additional optical alignment and light barriers of photo diode and the IR emitter is eliminated by the VCNL4020.
- A proprietary technology is used by the VCNL4020 that allows design engineers to easily locate the sensor.
- The VCNL4020 can be installed on the main PCB because of its 16-bit resolution, thus ensuring better cross talk immunity.
- The VCNL4020 operates at any air gap and depth below a glass window in order to provide extra flexibility.
- A programmable LED drive current from 10 mA to 200 mA is provided by the VCNL4020 in 10 mA steps.
- An integrated external emitter driver in the VCNL4020 enables increasing the proximity sensor’s range.
- The infrared signal is modulated by the VCNL4020 in order to provide better ambient light suppression.
- The VCNL4020 provides 16 bit dynamic range sensitivity with the help of an inbuilt ambient light photo-pin-diode. This 16 bit dynamic range is used for detecting ambient light from 0.25 lux to 16 klux.
- 120 Hz and 100 Hz of flicker noise rejection is offered by the VCNL4020.
Besides the above mentioned features, the VCNL4020 provides I2C bus voltage range from 1.7 V to 5 V and a supply voltage range of 2.5 V to 3.6 V. The sensor works in temperature ranging from - 25 °C to + 85 °C and offers a Moisture Sensitivity Level (MSL) of 4.