RoboSense officially announced the SOP version of the high-performance, automotive-grade, MEMS solid-state LiDAR RS-LiDAR-M1 at CES 2021. In the past five years of research and development, M1 has gone through dozens of iterations and has been presented at the CES for 4 consecutive years winning two CES Innovation Awards. Since July 2020, M1 has received a number of orders for serial production cars worldwide. It has been delivered to OEM partners in batches in December 2020, becoming the world's first mass-production-ready solid-state automotive LiDAR.
The development process of M1 has been finalized after completing the processes of product requirement definition, components selection, design and development, repeated verification tests and manufacturing. The SOP version’s features include:
- The ranging capability reaches more than 150m for 10% reflectivity targets (with range up to 200 meters for detecting vehicle objects). The average resolution of M1 is 0.2°x0.2° (horizontally and vertically) with an ultra-wide field of view 120°×25° (horizontally and vertically) to create a high resolution of 0.75M pixel points per second.
- he RS-LiDAR-M1 has reduced the minimum detection distance to less than 0.5 meters through upgrading the optical system design and signal processing system.
- RoboSense has innovated the signal processing algorithms and optical system design, which has enabled the M1 to distinguish laser emission signals from ambient lights, without further concern of strong sunlight interference.
- M1 uses the unique technologies to filter laser pulses from other LiDARs to prevent multiple LiDAR crosstalk.
- The SOP version of M1 has reduced the size compared to the last version. Up to now, it is the world’s thinnest automotive LiDAR, with a size of 108 mm(Depth) x 110 mm(Width) x 45 mm(Height) to make the integration into the vehicle body easy.
- Power consumption is reduced to less than 15W.
- M1 provides a series of supporting functions, including OTA firmware updating, blockage detection, smart cleaning, smart heating, performance detection, power management, network management, etc.
- RoboSense strictly abides by the ISO26262 safety standard, and has integrated the fail-safe concept and technology from aerospace and rail transportation systems, achieving all-round monitoring of various system modules such as laser emitter and receiver, MEMS control, point cloud processing and transmitting, etc. Its safety mechanism has covered thousands of failure modes, fully achieving the requirements of ASIL-B and SIL-2.
- RoboSense has adopted VDA6.3 as the basis of project management and control, fully implemented the requirements of IATF16949 quality management system and ISO26262 standard, and has integrated ISO16750 and other automotive-grade reliability specifications, to carry out a series of verification tests on M1, including random mechanical vibration, mechanical shock, splash water, stone impact, high and low temperature storage and operation, solar radiation, EMC, chemical corrosion, salt spray and others. The cumulative test time of all M1 test samples has exceeded 300,000 hours, the longest-running prototype has been in continuous operation for more than 700 days, and the total road test mileage has exceeded 200,000 kilometers.