When level sensors have to be autoclaved for sterilization, certain items need to be disassembled (e.g. housings, etc.) from the sensor before it is autoclaved. Several years back, a major global pharmaceutical company contacted Drexelbrook and requested for an innovative sensor design that would allow the sensor to stay installed on small “tote” vessels at the time as the autoclaving process. In this particular use, the tote vessels included wheels that enabled them to be rolled into large autoclaves for the sterilization process.
At that time, Drexelbrook developed the Universal IV level sensor that has since been used from then by hundreds of other companies which were in search of a level sensor that can be completely autoclaved.
The Universal IV level sensor’s design enables the sensor to be rapidly and simply removed from the vessel through the quick disconnect electrical and process connections; or in case the whole vessel has to be autoclaved following a process run, the Universal IV level sensor can withstand while being installed in the vessel at the time of the entire autoclave process.
Moreover, it is easy to remove the Universal IV level sensor from the vessel for the sterilization process when used on larger vessels that cannot be transported.
- 316LSS construction of the main housing body of the sensor with a 316LSS cap (through a retaining chain) seals and protects the six-pin Mil-Spec Series I Connector through an EDPM O-ring. This seal prevents the entry of moisture or any foreign material into the electrical connections at the time of the autoclave process.
- Crimped 316LSS inactive section under the Triclamp mounting prevents the possible retention of bacteria in crevices between the process mounting and the Teflon sensor rod
- Sensor temperature ranging from −65 °C to +175 °C (or −85 °F to +347 °F)
- 3/8-inch OD TFE Teflon sensing element tailor-made to suit the user-defined insertion length (in general, tank depth minus 1⁄2 inch (13 mm) for continuous level measurements)
- All process wetted parts are made of 316LSS and TFE Teflon
- Process mounting according to the specification of customers, customarily Triclamp design 1” through 4”, and others on demand
Customers can request for more information for any assistance with a level measurement solution that suits their requirements.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Drexelbrook.
For more information on this source, please visit Drexelbrook.