The Phi-TEC II is an adiabatic calorimeter, which supports the use of low Phi-factor test cells. This allows for manufacturing plant conditions to be fully replicated on a lab-scale thus allowing thermal runaway risks to be simulated and assessed. Utilizing low-Phi factor cells means that the runaway rate is not tempered by the test equipment, and subsequently, the measured rate of pressure increase and final temperature (Tend) – along with the calculated Time to Maximum Rate (TMRd) and adiabatic temperature rise (∆Tad,d) – are representative of what would be expected to occur during a production-scale incident
The impact of different operating scenarios can be explored using the Phi-TEC II, and the data generated can be utilized to determine appropriate safety controls for the manufacturing plant, such as:
- Emergency and evaporation cooling
- Controlled depressurization
- Vent sizing (in accordance with DIERS methodology)
Thus, the Phi-TEC II enables hazards to be fully evaluated, enabling their mitigation prior to scale-up.
Features and Options
Test Cells Types and Volumes
- Thin-walled, 10ml to 110 ml, low Phi-factor test cells.
- Also compatible with standard ARC-type high Phi-factor test cells, up to 10 ml volume.
High Pressure and Vacuum Systems
- Pressure range 1 to 137 bar.
- Optional: High-pressure liquid feed pump for dosing of a critical ingredient at a controlled rate to the reaction vessel.
- Optional: High-pressure injector for rapid addition of a critical ingredient to the test cell, replicating plant-scale conditions.
- Indirect agitation with magnetic stirrer bar as standard; fixed stirring rate of 300 rpm.
- Optional: Direct overhead stirring available for metal test cells for effective agitation of highly viscous samples.
Intelligent Software Control and Analysis
- labCONSOL software control enables regular data logging, multi-step recipes, parameter control, and feedback loops. The software adds a responsive intelligence to the Phi-TEC II system and still delivers an intuitive interface that needs only minimal training to run quickly.
- Customizable standard plans allow for easy running of the system with automated heating, detection of gas generation, and safety steps
- Optional: High data rate acquisition available for characterizing extremely fast reactions (up to 10 000 Hz).
- Optional: Bespoke testing methods.
- Automatic, user-configurable, event monitoring and shutdown procedures if a safety condition is exceeded to ensure user safety.
- Automatic hardware and software fail-safes are installed on every system.