The BTC-130 (Battery Testing Calorimeter) is a bench-scale adiabatic calorimeter designed to enable the testing of thermal, electrical, and mechanical stress tests on smaller-sized battery cells. Evaluation of these tests facilitates the assessment of the safety performance of battery cells, the battery’s safe operating limits, and research and development into the mechanisms of thermal runaway. The BTC-130 also supports the use of small-volume ARC-type test cells, enabling thermal stability screening of individual battery cell components under adiabatic conditions.
Features and Options
Type of Test
- Thermal stress: the BTC-130 enables the battery cell to be tested for its thermal stability and for the characterization of associated thermal runaway events.
- Electrical stress: the BTC-130 can be combined with charge-discharge units to support overcharging and discharging testing. External short circuits can also be applied. Resultant thermal runaway events can be characterized
- Mechanical stress: the BTC-130 can perform nail penetration puncture tests, while also characterizing the subsequent thermal runaway.
- High data rate acquisition, up to 10,000 Hz is available for characterizing extremely fast reactions. 100 Hz data acquisition and unique tests are available for compliance with GB/T 36276-2018
- Cell components, coin cells, small pouch cells, and cylindrical cells.
- Optional ARC-type test cells (pressure range 1-150 bar) for cell component testing.
Intelligent Software Control and Analysis
- labCONSOL software control enables regular data logging, multi-step recipes, parameter control, and feedback loops. The software adds responsive intelligence to the BTC-130 system while delivering an intuitive interface that needs only minimal training to run quickly.
- Automatic, user-configurable event detection and shutdown procedures, to ensure user safety
- Automatic hardware and software fail-safes are installed on every system