LineStream Technologies is adding on-chip position control expertise to the InstaSPIN™-MOTION software suite. Launched in collaboration with Texas Instruments (TI) in April 2013, InstaSPIN-MOTION originally focused on improving performance and design simplicity of sensorless speed control applications by embedding motor control software expertise on chip.
With the addition of advanced position control to InstaSPIN-MOTION, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) can minimize time spent on speed and position loop calibration and focus on improving the performance and reliability of their products and accelerating their time-to-market. Additionally, expanding the InstaSPIN-MOTION software suite to include position control extends the ease of use and performance benefits to all motor control applications, sensored or sensorless, speed and/or position control.
With the addition of position control, applications that demand precision, including but not limited to packaging, robotics, medical devices, surveillance, material handling, and gimbal systems, will benefit from previously unattainable accuracy.“InstaSPIN-MOTION solves several longstanding inefficiencies in motor control design and implementation.” Said TI Motor Control Application Team Lead, Dave Wilson. “This solution enables engineers to define complex motion sequences and position profiles in minutes and tune their systems with minimal effort.”
New position control features in InstaSPIN-MOTION include a disturbance-rejecting position plus speed controller with single parameter tuning. With these capabilities InstaSPIN-MOTION:
- Simplifies the design process with LineStream’s single parameter speed and position tuning, enabling developers to quickly and easily optimize system performance.
- Streamlines the design process with existing encoder software calibration and conversions.
- Improves accuracy and minimizes mechanical system by actively estimating and compensating for system disturbances in real-time.
- Executes complex position sequences with intuitive trajectory generation (trapezoidal, S-curve, continuous-jerk ST-curve).
- Smooths the transition between positions with a proprietary profile generator, which optimizes the profile based on start state, desired state, and designer-configured system limitations for speed, acceleration and jerk.
- Provides insight into system dynamics by automatically identifying inertia.
This software solution with position control is enabled by special libraries on TI’s C2000™ Piccolo™ F2806x microcontrollers. Designers can get started utilizing InstaSPIN-MOTION with position control through a MotorWare™ software update which works with the following evaluation kits from Texas Instruments: DRV8312-69M-KIT, DRV8301-69M-KIT and TMDSHVMTRINSPIN.