Today, Kinsa announced the launch of its second connected health device, an instant wireless Smart Ear Thermometer, bringing modern design and intelligence to the world's most common medical device.
Kinsa's Smart Ear Thermometer is the first to combine temperature readings with symptom tracking and actionable next steps based on key health indicators. Kinsa's network of connected thermometers also offers helpful insights on common illnesses that may be circulating within a child's school - a welcome relief to concerned parents and caregivers.
Kinsa's Smart Ear Thermometer is available for pre-order on Indiegogo starting today for $29.99, 50 percent off of its imminent retail price. Funds raised support the growth of Kinsa's FLUency initiative, which provides Kinsa thermometers to all families at 100 schools nationwide to help stop the spread of illness during flu season.
Kinsa's technology, design and mission are well represented across key features of its Smart Ear Thermometer, including:
- Fast: One-second accurate temperature readings
- Agile: Use alone or wirelessly with iOS or Android smartphone
- Gentle: Perfect for sleeping babies and active kids
- Time-stamped: Stores temperature history (for multiple family members) each with time stamped fever information
- Remembers: Easily tracks symptoms, medications and photos
- Simple: One-button operation plus bigger screen than competitive offerings, and a playful smile/frown face when fever is indicated
- Community-minded: Indicates common symptoms experienced in the child's school
- Guidance: Kinsa's companion app provides guidance and recommendations for what should be done next, based on key health indicators
"Just as Nest reimagined ordinary devices for the home, Kinsa's Smart Thermometers bring more value and provide guidance on what to do next," says Dr. Beth Seidenberg, partner at KPCB and Kinsa board member. "Ultimately, the company has developed a technology platform that will help communities better identify, treat and stop the spread of illness, all with a device that every household should own."
"The company's name is a derivative of kin, meaning family. Keeping families and their loved ones healthy and comforted is at the core of every decision we make," says Inder Singh, founder and CEO of Kinsa. "We already have hundreds of thousands of people using Kinsa's app to better understand their health. Early indication of illness serves to benefit both the Kinsa user and the community of people around them."
Indiegogo backers can expect to receive their Smart Ear Thermometers this November. By the holiday season, the general public will be able to purchase the thermometer online and on shelves alongside the original Kinsa Smart Stick thermometer, which is currently in nearly 7,000 retail locations.
For more information on the company, the FLUency initiative or the new Kinsa Smart Ear Thermometer, please visit Kinsa or the Indiegogo campaign. For media inquiries, please contact Kimberly Angell of Wish Public Relations at kim (dot) angell (at) wishpr (dot) com or (415) 471-7272.