MetaSensor, a Silicon Valley-based R&D organization creating next-generation, intelligent IoT devices with machine learning capabilities, today launched its beachhead product, Sensor-1, a military-grade, quarter-size security system. Sensor-1 will be available for pre-order on September 15, 2015, at www.metasensor.com.
MetaSensor today also unveiled Aletha, an upcoming IoT platform that enables users to visualize and easily understand data on Sensor-1 activities. Additionally, with its predictive analytics capabilities, Aletha can also warn users of suspicious activity, while API integrations allow for a connected and brand-agnostic network of users' other sensors and IoT wearables.
"The loss of important belongings and of personal and data security has become a very common and significant risk for individuals, organizations and businesses, yet the market is filled with broken promises of better protection," said Nick Warren, CEO, MetaSensor. "Sensor-1 and the Aletha IoT Platform represent important, pioneering advances in solving the problem of situational awareness and in using machine learning to provide a far more reliable way to secure valued items."
Unlike current sensors available in the market today, Sensor-1 can detect changes in linear motion and tilt using a 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis gyroscopic sensor. Placing an armed Sensor-1 on anything that needs protection immediately alerts the user if the item moves.
Sensor-1 can be used as a standalone unit, or networked in a swarm configuration for broad-scope monitoring, including determining its relative location and paths of travel in complex environments where GPS communication could typically fail. It is also equipped with a loss of signal warning to protect against a potential jamming or spoofing attack.
Sensor-1 has a wide range of uses in the office and home, and for travel. For example, it can be mounted on the back of a door to deliver updates any time the door is opened. The miniature security system's industrial applications include robotic swarm networking, tracking machines and equipment in hospitals, monitoring the movement and acceleration of shipping containers, and protecting against theft in museums, banks and defense facilities.
Sensor-1 features include:
- Proximity based auto-arming, freeing users from the need to press buttons to arm Sensor-1
- Color LEDs and onboard siren communicate with custom patterns
- Alerts users when a protected item has been left behind accidentally
- Communicates with iOS and Android devices and on the web
- Replaceable CR2032 coin cell battery, with an estimated 1+ year battery life in Stealth Mode
- API enables communication with a variety of long-range protocols and proprietary wireless networks; movement can trigger onsite cameras, autonomous responses, and predefined reactions via the Aletha Platform
- Mobile app is available for iOS and Apple Watch (the Android app is expected to be available in late 2015)
- IP67 waterproof to 3 meters
- Aligned with ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations), US Department of State controls on the export and import of defense-related articles and services
- Downloadable 3D template for 3D printing custom cases and mounting solutions, available to developers and institutions
Priced at $79, Sensor-1 is completely designed and manufactured in the United States, and shipped using eco-friendly packaging materials.
Based in Santa Clara, Calif., MetaSensor is a venture-backed research and development organization developing a new generation of Internet of Things (IoT) devices to improve situational awareness and understanding capabilities. MetaSensor offers an intelligent sensor, called Sensor-1, a portable security system capable of detecting motion and tracking where protected items have been, are currently located, and will likely be in the future. For more information, visit https://www.metasensor.com