Security & Policing 2015 – American Science and Engineering, Inc. ("AS&E"), a leading worldwide supplier of innovative X-ray detection solutions, today announced the United Kingdom (UK) debut of MINI Z™, the world's first handheld Z Backscatter® imaging scanner for fast, portable, real-time detection of hidden drugs, explosives, and other organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces.
The MINI Z system enables law enforcement, public safety and other security professionals to determine "on the go" if drugs, explosives or other threats are present in unattended bags, packages, and difficult-to-reach locations such as car interiors and aircraft compartments.
Since its launch in June 2014, the MINI Z system has been named the "Best of What's New" by Popular Science magazine and received the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS) Accolades Award for Security Innovation. Recent customer demonstrations of the MINI Z system for U.S. public safety agencies have led to actual drug seizures, including a large quantity of well-concealed marijuana valued at more than $150,000 USD.
"As AS&E continues to make inroads into the international public safety market, we are very pleased to work together with our new channel partner, Scanna, to introduce the MINI Z to security and police agencies in the UK," said Chuck Dougherty, AS&E's President and CEO. "The MINI Z, like our ZBV® mobile inspection system, is a highly effective, easy-to-use, detection solution that is ideal for detecting security threats wherever and whenever they occur. Using the MINI Z, we are confident that customers in the UK — and elsewhere in the world — will achieve the same, immediate results that U.S. public safety agencies have experienced using the system."
AS&E and Scanna will conduct demos at booth #C96 during the Security & Policing Event 2015, held at the FIVE exhibition hall in Farnborough, Hampshire, UK from March 10–12, 2015. Security & Policing is the UK's premier event for police, law enforcement, and security professionals tasked with security, civil protection, and National Resilience. Scanna is a leading supplier of portable X-ray and postal security equipment and AS&E's authorized supplier of MINI Z systems in the UK.
The MINI Z system is ideal for security and public safety officials for many different applications, including:
- Border and Security Checkpoints: Inspecting vehicle bumpers, tires, and interiors for drugs, explosives, currency and other concealed threats and contraband.
- Drug Interdiction: Screening interiors of vehicles and facilities for concealed drugs and currency.
- Public Safety: Quick screening of unattended and suspicious bags and packages in public spaces.
- Event Security: Screening small personal items to ensure public safety.
- VIP Security: Security sweeps of meeting rooms and furniture to ensure personnel safety.
- Maritime Security: Screening the hulls and bulkheads of suspected drug running boats for contraband or narcotics.
- General Aviation Security: Inspecting the seats, compartments, and panels of planes for hidden contraband.
MINI Z — the World's First Handheld Z Backscatter® Imaging System:
- Scans in places other systems can't reach: The MINI Z system is a compact, single-sided imager that can be used to scan objects in hard-to-reach areas, such as unattended bags, backpacks, or packages in a subway or bus station.
- Unsurpassed detection of organic threats: The MINI Z handheld system uses AS&E's signature Z Backscatter technology, an advanced X-ray imaging technology that produces a real-time image of the scan target, highlighting organic materials that transmission X-ray systems can miss, such as explosives, currency, and drugs. Unlike density meters, trace detectors, or portable transmission X-ray systems, the MINI Z system produces an easy-to-interpret image to quickly detect organic threats and contraband behind non-metallic surfaces.
- An easy to use, all-in-one imaging system: The MINI Z system is self-contained and does not require set-up, enabling immediate operation. The operator controls the scanning function using a simple, intuitive GUI on the system's dedicated tablet, upon which an image of the scanned target appears in real-time.
- Safe, secure, and dependable operation: The MINI Z system is safe for operators, bystanders, and the environment. The system's X-ray dose conforms to the appropriate ANSI, ICRP, NCRP, and EURATOM radiation safety standards. Although the MINI Z is a low-energy and low-dose Z Backscatter system, it is not designed to scan people. The MINI Z system must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, as well as applicable laws and regulations.
Experience the MINI Z system at www.meetminiz.com.