Expanding its broad portfolio of low-power, radio frequency (RF) solutions, Texas Instruments (TI) today introduces the RF430F5978 microcontroller (MCU) and accompanying evaluation module (EVM). Building on TI's CC430 product family, the RF430F5978 MCU is a highly integrated RF solution with improved read zone and battery performance for ultra-low power applications.
The RF430F5978 MCU includes a 3D low-frequency (LF) wake-up and transponder interface, an integrated 1GHz RF transceiver and programmable MSP430™ core. The LF transponder can even function without a battery supply. The 128-bit AES security encryption/decryption coprocessor adds advanced security for data protection. With its innovative wake-up and localization RF connectivity, this highly integrated system-in-a-package solution enables very small, compact designs with smaller batteries.
This MCU is ideal for low-power RF applications, such as wireless sensor networks, data-loggers, active transponders, remote monitoring systems, container tracking, access control and asset control/management systems. One example that can help designers visualize the endless application possibilities using the RF430F5978 MCU is a data-logging and wireless-communication application for produce containers. An RF4305978 MCU-based data-logger on a produce container can be triggered to wake up (via the LF wake-up interface) and programmed to send out temperature measurements (via the sub 1GHz RF interface) to an external reader when the container is within a pre-defined read zone. Security encryption on the MCU ensures that any information read or sent is only to and from an intended and authorized reader.
New EVM and accompanying software jumpstart development
To get started evaluating the RF430F5978 MCU system, developers can purchase the RF430F5978EVM to help users evaluate the key features of the RF430F5978 MCU, 3D LF wake-up and trigger function, passive battery-less transponder operation and resonant trimmings. The EVM includes a USB plug-in LF trigger module, RF430F5978 MCU evaluation board, AP434R01 access point and 3D LF antenna. Using this EVM, designers can set up a demo where the RF430F5978 MCU captures data from multiple sensors over a period of time, and once triggered by the LF wake-up trigger from the reader, it will transmit collected data to the access point via RF link. This data is then sent on to the included host GUI to visualize the data curve and position of the object. The EVM comes with demo code, MSP430 code examples and the Code Composer Studio v. 6 integrated development environment.
Features and benefits of the RF430F5978 MCUs:
- Reduces power consumption further by allowing the shutdown of the RF radio and quick start up of the LF wake-up function, thus significantly extending battery life and the ability to shut down the radio and start up on the LF trigger.
- Tracks position and distance (within 5 cm) with the 3D LF transponder using RSSI (return signal strength indicator) within a 4 meter radius of a reader's LF trigger.
- Protects sensitive data and prevents signal interference with the AES security coprocessor that allows data encryption for product authentication and secure access control.
- Provides flexible customization at ultra-low power with the programmable MSP430 core.
- Accommodates a wide range of regional Sub-1GHz frequencies from 300 to 950 MHz.
- Reduces board size and cost with the integration of several key functions into a single MCU.
- Woks with complementary TI components, such as TPS62163 and TPS62082 power management ICs, the SimpleLink™ Wi-Fi CC3100 and bq24040 IC.
Pricing and availability
Designers can order the RF430F5978 MCU today. The MCU start at $5.75 in 1 ku volumes. The accompanying RF430F5978 EVM is available for $390 USD.
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with low-power MSP MCUs and performance C2000™ MCUs. With unique products for ultra-low power, low-power performance and security communications, to real-time control, control and automation, and safety, designers can accelerate time to market with TI's ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.