Atmel® Corporation, a leader in microcontroller (MCU) and touch technology solutions, today expanded its industry-leading maXTouch U series of touchscreen controllers, providing the perfect blend of performance, power and size. The new devices enable virtually any touchscreen from 1.2" to 10.1" to deliver superior touch performance and ultra-low power in various form factors.
The six new devices expand the maXTouch U series with the industry's best touch performance and lowest power leveraging its proprietary picoPower technology. Designers can now build innovative thin and flexible touchscreen designs using single layer, on-cell and hybrid in-cell touchscreens with intelligent wake-up gestures and buttons. Atmel is the only supplier to provide a single platform using the company's latest touch technology to support touchscreens for applications ranging from wearables to entry-level smartphones, super phones and tablets on a full range of stack-ups including on-cell and hybrid in-cell.
With the proliferation of touchscreens over the last 5 years, there has been a continued need to develop touchscreens with extremely high touch performance, ultra-low power and more sophisticated industrial designs with thinner screens. Furthermore, the anticipated growth of the wearables market has created a demand for extremely small touchscreen controllers with ultra-low power consumption in tiny packaging. Atmel addresses this demand with devices in its new maXTouch U series packaged in an ultra-tiny 2.5mm x 2.6mm Wafer-Level Chip Scale Package (WLCSP).
Atmel's portfolio of maXTouch U series addresses all the requirements for next-generation touchscreens and is built from the ground up with the company's proven ultra-low power MCU and leading touch technology. The portfolio of devices support differentiated features for a variety of touchscreen applications including 1.0mm passive stylus, water rejection with stylus operation, multi-finger glove touch, up to 20mm hover and ultra-low power modes down to 10µW in deep sleep for wearable applications.
"Atmel's industry-leading maXTouch U series provides all the necessary building blocks including ultra-low power and smaller form factors to enable our OEMs to differentiate their designs," said Binay Bajaj, Sr. Director of Touch Marketing, Atmel Corporation. "Our expertise in ultra-low power MCUs and innovative touch engineering have allowed us to bring a superior series of devices to market that is truly an innovative collection to drive next-generation touchscreens. We are a leading provider of touchscreen devices to a variety of markets adopting capacitive touchscreens."
Key features of the six new maXTouch U devices include:
- mXT735U is the perfect device for the entry level tablet delivering robust moisture support and excellent noise immunity for touchscreens up to 10.1".
- mXT640U supports touchscreens up to 6". This device supports 1mm passive stylus support and thin stack support including 0.4mm cover lens for GFF stack, up to 25mm hover detection and moisture resistance.
- mXT416U delivers extremely high touch performance including 2.5mm passive stylus, excellent moisture support, noise immunity and up to 30mm large finger touch detection.
- mXT336U is targeted for mid-range smartphone applications, delivering a perfect balance between performance and form factor.
- mXT308U is targeted for low-end smartphone applications emphasizing simplicity and robustness.
- mXT144U is designed specifically for wearable applications. The mXT144U features picoPower with 10uW in deep sleep mode and is the smallest hybrid sensing touchscreen controller packaged in a 2.5mm x 2.6mm WLCSP. This device is the ideal solution for today and tomorrow's wearable devices.
More information for the maXTouch U series is available at: http://www.atmel.com/microsite/maxtouch-U-series/default.aspx.
All new maXTouch U devices are sampling today. Production quantities for the mXT735U, mXT640U and mXT416U will be available in Q3 2015, and early Q4 2015 for the mXT336U, mXT308 and mXT144U.