A leading LTE chipmaker, Sequans Communications S.A., and STMicroelectronics, a global semiconductor leader offering assistance to customers across the range of electronics applications, recently launched CLOE, an innovative LTE-connected tracker platform based on the incorporation of ST and Sequans technologies.
CLOE is the acronym of Connecting and Locating Objects Everywhere, and it integrates the Internet-of-Things (IoT) technologies of two industry leaders into one comprehensive platform that makes the development of LTE-based IoT tracker devices for the complete range of vertical markets, including automotive, consumer electronics and logistics much easier.
CLOE is exclusively designed and optimized for ODMs and OEMs in order to include IoT tracking ability to their product offerings. It combines ST’s Teseo III Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) chip and Sequans’ Monarch LTE Cat M1/NB1 chip for satellite-based tracking performance and industry-leading communications.
CLOE targets multiple vertical markets with best-in-class performance for all of the important tracking measures: battery life, location accuracy, reachability, mobility, and reporting periodicity. 'Componentizing' ST’s navigation technology and Sequans’ LTE modem technology makes CLOE an ideal platform to build trackers of all types—anything a developer can think of.
Antonio Radaelli, Infotainment BU Director, STMicroelectronics
“The tight integration of ST’s latest-generation Teseo chip with our Monarch LTE chip results in a power-optimized, cost-effective, all-in-one solution to speed new IoT tracker devices to market in a very short time,” said Danny Kedar, VP of Sequans IoT business unit. “CLOE delivers ultra reliable LTE connectivity with ultra low power consumption, and high performance GNSS and accelerometer performance, including lowest Time To First Fix (TTFF).”
CLOE Key Features
- First-to-market, operator-certified
- Industry-leading Time To First Fix and GNSS accuracy
- Covers all global LTE bands with a single hardware design
- Turnkey cellular tracker solution for ODMs and OEMs, anywhere in the world
- Chipset integrates MCU, GNSS, LTE, PMU and memories
- LTE Cat M1/NB1 dual-category
- Support for autonomous or server-based Assisted GPS (AGPS) for optimal Time To Fix
- Designed to address several track and trace segments, including
- Consumer electronics
- Optimized for low cost and power consumption
- Modular design includes MEMS, cellular connectivity, GNSS; can be extended to include Bluetooth, other sensors, and/or Wi-Fi.
CLOE is specifically developed and optimized for production based on a full bill of materials (BOM) that includes button management, battery management, LED, power supply, accelerometer, LTE and GNSS. The modular design not only permits copy/paste but also optimizes BOM cost. Moreover, it is easy to customize CLOE.
At Sequans’ stand N.501 in the north hall, CLOE will be demonstrated live at Mobile World Congress Americas, San Francisco September 12-14th. Sequans as well as ST will provide CLOE, and its availability is scheduled for Q4.