MSR-Electronic develops and produces reliable gas detectors and gas controllers for commercial shipping as well as for private shipping. With the certificates MEDB00007CE, MEDD0000272 and TAA000032C, MSR makes the worldwide use of fixed gas detectors on board safe. These approvals include safety, reliability and environmental regulations that ships and mobile offshore units must comply with in international waters.
Image credit: MSR Electronic
Ships and oil rigs are areas of risk because there is no possibility of escape. Dangerous gas concentrations can form on board at any time and must be detected at an early stage.
Fixed gas detection systems are therefore essential to ensure the safety of people and of the many applications and locations on board; e.g. crew accommodation, engine room, pump rooms, tank storages, tank ullages, cargo holds and near gas supply lines.
The vessels are designed and built to successfully keep water out. But this feature also provides ideal conditions for undesirable gases and vapours to gather.
Hazards may arise depending on the type of function of the vessel and its cargo, such as LNG/LPG carriers, breakbulk vessels, bulk carriers, cargo container ships, RO-RO vessels, oil and chemical tankers, fishing vessels, passenger ships and other specialised vessels.
However, unlike in an industrial plant, for example, where the gas detection system can automatically stop production, the gas detection system on board is not allowed to directly stop the ship's propulsion or manoeuvrability.
MSR-Electronic solutions for reliable gas detection
©MSR-Electronic GmbH, Germany, PolyXeta®2 PX2 Gas Detector for Zone 1 and 2
For the marine sector, fixed gas detectors (type PolyXeta®2 PX2) are used in hazardous areas of zone 1 or zone 2.
The microprocessor-based gas warning device with a 4–20 mA / RS-485 Modbus output signal, alarm and fault relay (all SIL2 certified) is used to monitor the ambient air for combustible gases and vapours by means of a catalytic sensor element (pellistor) or to monitor oxygen concentration and toxic gases, such as CO, NH3, NO2, HCN, HCl, H2S by means of an electrochemical sensor element.
Benefits of the Gas Detector PolyXeta®2 PX2
- ATEX and IECEx certificates MSR-Electronic for electrical Ex protection
- Approved Measuring Function & SIL2 safety functions 4–20 mA, RS-485 and relay
- Approval for shipping according to the European Directive 2014/90/EU, EU2020/1170 and according to the international directive DNVGL-CG-0339 (MEDB00007CE, MEDD0000272, TAA000032C)
- PX2-1 for zone 1 (and also suitable for zone 2): Type “Ex db” protection flame-proof enclosure
- PX2-2 for zone 2: Type “Ex nA” protection
- Enclosure: additional FM and CSA certificates for Class I, Div. 1
- Continuous self-monitoring, microprocessor with 12-bit converter resolution
- Reduced costs thanks to simple maintenance, e.g. exchange of sensor head (X-Change technology
- Calibration service by exchanging the sensor head
- Proportional 4-20 mA output, serial interface to the control centre
- Reverse polarity protection, overload protection
- Alarm and fault signal relay
- Option: LCD display with status LEDs
Further information on MSR products can be found here in the current MSR-Electronic online catalog or in the webshop: www.msr-24.com.
MSR-Electronic is a manufacturer of fixed gas warning systems with decades of experience in the field of building automation and gas measurement technology. The international company with headquarters in Germany has a wide range of methods for the detection of toxic and combustible gases. On this basis MSR-Electronic develops individual gas sensors, controllers and warning devices for many applications, such as parking garages, tunnels, petrochemical industry or shipping. The products meet more than the general standards and regulations and can therefore guarantee the safety of the plant. www.msr-electronic.de/en